My older sister used to live in the Virgina Beach area, and many times when we would go to visit her, we would take a trip to Bush Gardens. A couple of years ago we went and I wanted to ride on the Griffon. Now, I had been on it before and it was RIDICULOUS! If you haven't been on it, it is totally cool! As the car goes up the hill, the anticipation builds, and if you are lucky, you sat in the front row and the craziest part is yet to come. As it crests the hill, the car stops. And you are literally dangling....arms and legs just hanging over the edge with no choice but to stare and the looming 205 foot drop. And your heart is pounding a mile a second as you hold your breath and wait for the ride to release you and you plunge. Wow. It is sooo cool.
The first time I went on it was with my dad. I have to admit it was a pretty cool experience, because as a kid, my dad could never ride on roller coasters (or really almost any ride for that matter) with us because he weighed as high as 515lbs. (Sidebar: He had gastric bypass surgery and bariatric surgery shortly after my son was born in 2002 and now weighs between 200-250) The second time I went to go on it, I was with my husband. And it was probably the most embarrasing experience of my entire life. There have been plenty of times when I have been uncomfortable because of my weight - at movie theaters, in auditoriums, on airplanes, etc. But never had I been told that I couldn't do something because of my size. That's a lie....I can't go horseback riding, but no one had to tell me that. I knew so we didn't go. But the second time I went to go on the Griffon at Busch Gardens, I couldn't go. They couldn't get the over head bar to latch between my legs...it wouldn't go down far enough. The entire ride was waiting for them to try and get me hooked in, and they couldn't do it. So I had to get off the ride. I had to leave and have everyone else on the ride and all those waiting to get on the ride, and all those working at the ride watched me walk off the ride...all probably knowing that I couldn't fit. I have never in my life felt so fat and disgusting.
I refused to go on any other roller coasters that day...or rides in general unless I knew the seat situation and knew I would never be embarrased like that again. My husband tried to be supportive, but really....now who can make you feel better about that?
So....I think that one of my goals will be to be able to ride roller coasters. We are going to Pigeon Forge, TN in April with all of the kids, and my family. I know we will be going to Dollywood. And so I want to be able to ride on roller coasters with my kids....and my husband....and my sisters....and even my dad.

No comments:
Post a Comment