Monday, January 3, 2011

Out With the Old....

Believe it or not, 2010 is done and over with.  Wow!  It sure seemed like it flew by!  I was just talking with Mary Kathryn about this at work and she said that she read an article that said that kids feel like time drags because they pay attention to every detail.  They soak in every event, every little thing that happens to them.  As we get older, we don't focus on the moment as much.  We pay attention to the bigger details....the beginnings and the ends, not some much of the middles.  Its kind of sad when you think about it.  I guess that's why everyone is always commenting that they need to slow down so they don't miss things.

With that said, let me revel in some of the moments of 2010. 

Vince became saved as a born again Christian!  He has known God for a long time, growing up Catholic, but he truly began to have a relationship with Christ this year, and understand the importance of that relationship and the plans that God has for our lives.  I was saved when I was nine years old.  However, the last decade particularly, was not a life of a follower of Jesus.  I was doing my own thing, making my own decisions, regardless of what God had planned for me.  Last year Vince and I both began to feel a lot of conviction.  You don't always realize that is what it is at the time, and God just really had to smack us around a little to get our attention.  But now, he's got it!  I think that I could be quoted many times as saying "You don't realize that God is all you need, until God is all you have."

Vince and I both started book studies this year with groups at our church.  The ladies are working through a book called Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian.  The group is facilitated by my pastor's wife and very dear friend, Jayne.  She has been a true lighthouse for me this year.  She has taught me and counseled me and celebrated with me.  I have such immense feeling of gratitude for her.  Vince soon decided to join the men's Bible study group at our church as well.  His group decided that they were going to start a book study and chose Power of a Praying Husband, also by Stormie Omartian.  It is interesting doing them at the same time.  If I have learned anything from the book, its the one thing that is hardest for me to do.  Shut up and pray.  I always want to say my peace even if it means that I making matters worse or picking a fight, or nagging.  Sometimes you just need to shut up and pray.  So I am working on it.

In April, Vince and I got married.  We have been together for four years and we both felt that God was leading us to make this commitment to each other and to our children.  So on April 9th, two days after I hit the big 3-0, we got hitched....outside, on the coldest day of April!

In June, I got a job working at a local bank.  Throughout the summer, I also worked at the local community college teaching with Kids on Campus and the ARC of Frederick County.  I continue to teach with the Institute for Learning in Retirement as well as Personal Enrichment.  This month I will teach my second class for the ARC.  I really enjoy doing this - ILR, and ARC the most.  It may be silly, but it makes me feel as if I am making a difference for someone....I hope.

Vince worked most of the year as a home inspector with another gentleman in the Montgomery County area.  This gig was very taxing for Vince....and our family.  The work was sporadic at best and resulted in a tremendous amount of driving, which can really add up in gas expenses!  This summer he was offered a job with a gentleman from our church, doing very similar work to what he was doing with home inspections.  This job has truly been a God send!  He is working very hard, but feels very appreciated at this job.  That really makes all the difference in world...just to feel appreciated.  The company is Christian based as well, which is something totally different for Vince.  Again, we just really feel that this job was God's plan for him.

Our kids have also been very busy this year!  Ally is in seventh grade now, Cameron in 4th grade, and Jacob in 1st grade.  Ally and Cam made a move to a new school this year, as they are now going to school in Smithsburg instead of Frederick since that is where they live with their mother.  Allison has truly sprouted before our very eyes, and is way to grown up looking for her age.  The boys just keep getting taller!  All three of them just amaze us as they seem to grow up so quickly!

All in all its been a good year.  One of a lot of challenges, but a lot of lessons learned.  I pray that as we move into 2011, we are able to let go of our mistakes and continue to look to God for the plans that He already has laid out for us. 

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

No comments:

Post a Comment