A couple of months ago, Kristy (my sister) made Vince a CD of some contemporary Christian music. To put it mildly, Vince wore a hole in the CD. He listened to it over and over and over again. I asked Jon (our music connoisseur - and avid iTunes user) to make him some more, especially after we attended the Life conference in Louisville. Vince was becoming more and more interesting in not only contemporary Christian, but praise music as well, but had limited exposure to what was "out there". To be honest, I did as well, because most of what I knew was out over a decade ago, so I could use some updating myself! Jon came through and provided us with about six CDs, some with praise music on it and some with CC (contemporary Christian). Vince listens to all of them in his car and even the kids have become quite attached to a number of the songs. Well, I, admittedly, stole one of them to keep in my car.
The CD that I confiscated is mostly CC not so much praise music. Jacob has thoroughly fallen in love with Love Addict by Family Force 5 - he likes to do "the wave" (or at least his 6 year old version of it) to the bridge. He's quite funnny in the backseat yelling, "Mom! Look at me! Look at me!" Which is easier said than done while I am attempting to follow the road and not run into anyon that my come into my path!
One of the songs on the CD that definitely caught my attention was another one by Brandon Heath called Give Me Your Eyes. His sound is quite similar to a Fort Minor or Matt Kearney. I have definitely played this song about a million times to the point that both Jacob and I can sing all of the lyrics. As Jacob often does, he'll hear a line of a song and ask me to explain what it means, which is not always easy in terms a 6 year old can understand. None the less, I make every attempt to have it make sense to him...and thankfully, he is very good at following my line of thought. He usually follows up my explanations with a "You mean its like...." And he is usually dead on. My very intuitive little boy makes me so proud!! It was no different with this song. Breaking down the lyrics of this song for him, just reinforced the reasons that I like it. It is so true. It is sometimes very difficult to go through everyday trying to walk with God. You can so easily get distracted by frustrations, and impatience, and even anger and hostility. One can all too often be blinded to the pains of of people they pass on the street everyday due to their own pain of trials. Because these lyrics have really hit home with me, I thought that I would share them with anyone reading this. I pray that God will allow me the ability to look at the world around me and the people living in it through His eyes and have His arms to reach out to those in need. I pray that God will use me, even if it is merely with a smile or a kind word to touch those that are broken down and weary. I pray that people will see God through me.
Looked down from a broken sky
Traced out by the city lights
My world from a mile high
Best seat in the house tonight
Touched down on the cold black tar
Hold on for the sudden stop
Breathe in the familiar shock
Of confusion and chaos
All those people going somewhere
Why have I never cared?
Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that iI keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the one's forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Step out on a busy street
See a girl and our eyes meet
Does her best to smile at me
To hide what's underneath
There's a man just to her right
Black suit and a bright red tie
Too ashamed to tell his wife
He's out of work he's buying time
All those people going somewhere
Why have I never cared?
Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach?
Give me Your heart for the one's forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
I've been there a million times
A couple of million eyes just moving past me by
I swear I never thought that I was wrong
Well I want a second glance
So give me a second chance
To see the way You see the people all alone
Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach?
Give me Your heart for the one's forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
That I keep missing
Give me Your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach?
Give me Your heart for the one's forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Welcome back to the blogging world. :-) I'd love to hear Jake's understanding of the song.
ReplyDelete