Tuesday, January 11, 2011

11 Things to Do in 2011

Last year, I set out to accomplish 21 things in 2010.  I did not accomplish almost all of them.  Lol.  So instead of feeling down on myself, I am just going to list 11 things that I want to accomplish this year.  Some of them are carrying over from last year's list.  And some are not.  Many of these things revolve around our kids.  I have so many fond memories of when I was a kid - of things we did, places we went.  It wasn't about how much money we spent, it was about the time we spent together.  And that truly is the memories I hold dearer than anything else.  My goal is to help make some of those experiences available for my kids so that they too can have fond memories of their family when thye grow up.  So here goes....

1.  Take the kids camping. This was on last year's list....but we never did it.  I really want to do this, so we will try again.  And I really don't want to go just once.  I would like to get some use out of the tents and the sleeping bags, etc.

2.  Read 12 new books. Last year I said that I wanted to read 10 new books, and I didn't do it.  Well, in truth, its possible that I might have, but it was by the skin of my teeth.  Vince gave me a Kindle for Christmas this year....and since Christmas, I have already read two books on it (technically in 2010 - so they won't count).  But I see no reason why I can't read one new book a month.

3.  Take Jake to a new state.  Jake has been to PA, VA, WVA, MD, OH, NY, and FL.  I would really like to take him to GA to meet some people that I went to college with or possible IL to meet my best friend from college.  Who knows if we will be able to work either of these out, but we will see :-).

4.  Spend time with God everyday.  I passionately want to follow God's will for my life and his plan for my family's life.  The only way I will hear his voice is by spending time with him.  I would like to spend time with a devotional and in prayer everyday.  This will be quite a new routine for me...I pray regularly, but that is not enough to truly know God.  Jacob got a new devotional book for Christmas this year

5.  Move on purpose at least 3 days a week.  I have given up on weight goals.  I think that all they do is make you frustrated.  When I worked in sales, we always focused on the behaviors, not the outcome when we were coaching our associates.  The idea is that if you focus on the behaviors, the results will come.  So...I will strive to move on purpose at least 3 days a week.  This means not just walking while shopping or lifting laundry baskets (lol).  This means going for a walk in the morning, or maybe running (wow....don't want to get ahead of myself), or going for a bike ride.  I am not going to rejoin a gym.  Its not worth the money, because life just gets in the way...and besides, why pay for something that you aren't even doing the basics for first.

6.  Try 12 new recipes.  One new one for each month - I figure this is easier to do than 50 new recipes when every time I ask Vince what he wants for dinner in the upcoming weeks, he says the exact same things that we had the week before.

7.  Stop worrying about money.  This doesn't necessarily mean that our financial situation will improve (although I can only pray that that will happen too), but it does mean that I have to realize that I can't improve anything by worrying myself sick about it.  God calls us not to worry, but to trust that He will provide for us. 

8.  Make my mother's applesauce this year.  Last year, my mom taught me how to make her applesauce.  It is amazing and our whole family thoroughly enjoys it.  Jacob sings it's praises.  He tells everyone at school that doesn't like applesauce that they should his Grandma's applesauce cause its the best!  He gives a cheer everytime he find out that we are eating her applesauce instead of from a jar.  So....this year, I would like to actually make it myself. 

9.  Get a promotion.  I can't guarantee that this will happen, but it is definitely something that I am shooting for. 

10.  Have people over for dinner more often.  I don't know if I can quantify this into a certain number, but we really enjoy people, and I think that now is a good time for my husband and I to build our friendships and help surround ourselves, our marriage, and our family with friends that uplift us, that we can uplift, and that will strengthen us in our walk with the Lord.

11.  Make the kids' scrapbooks.  I have decided to create a scrapbook for each of my kids...with pictures and letter to each of them about the year and their lives.  My goal is to be able to give it to them when they graduate from high school or some other major event in their lives.  However, I am really good at starting something...or even prepping to start something and not following through...so maybe that should really be #11 - follow through.

Well...its about half as long as last year.  Which means there is less to do, but never the less important.  I pray that God will give me strength, and the I will recognize His work in my life...even if it is just through losing my keys or missing my phone, or getting stopped speeding.  I pray that I will be aware enough to listen and to obey.  And no, on the 11th day of January, I welcome 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Thought you might like this:
    http://thegypsymama.com/2011/01/if-your-resolutions-are-already-mocking-you/

    Also, if you're looking for a devotional book, I've heard great things about Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. Its on my to-read list. :-)

    And for what's worth, I think #9 is a sure thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great- and very helpful for me too! Thanks for sharing- I particularly like #3 if I am that friend! :) If not then, come see while you see that friend! Hahaha! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete