A year or so ago, my family (Mom, Kristy, Kelli, Vince and I) decided to do a Biggest Loser Competition. We had very little rules besides that we could not use any drugs to get the necessary reaction of weight loss. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for my husband, he won. I do truly think that it is easier for men to lose weight than women. Vince did nothing really different...he never went to the gym, and definitely didn't watch what he was eating more than looking at it while he lifted it to his mouth. Lol. He did make one major change and that was to stop drinking Coke. He replaced his Coke with Coke Zero. That's it. And it made a world of difference. He lost over 30 lbs just from that! I mean, now, I guess it makes sense because I don't think you realize how much of your daily calories you drink if you're not careful.
Anyway, its now been quite some time since then and what do you know? I am as heavy as I have been....maybe even heavier. After trying to convince myself that I am trying to make healthier decisions and pick foods that aren't "bad" for me, the scale has proved to me that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. So now what?
I look at my son, who is 8 years old now and weighs 110 lbs, and I think that he is on the same path to struggle with his weight as much as I have my whole life. Maybe struggle is the right word. Struggle would indicate that I have made repeated attempts to lose weight just to have the scales roller coaster up and down. That would not be the truth. I have never really struggled with my weight, I have just always been fat. I have complained about it from time to time and groaned when trying on new clothes or made faces at myself in the mirror with disgust, but never have I been "all in" to really really DO something about it. I think about how Jake will be in middle school before I know it and the kids won't be as nice there....and there have already been a few to call him fat in elementary school. I don't want my son to have to go through that. I don't want him to feel what I remember (and his father remembers feeling) when kids tell you that you are fat or your family is fat.
So, for myself....and for my son, and for our health, we need to get healthy. Whether that ever means weighing within that "healthy weight bracket" of 130lbs to 160lbs or not, I don't know. And since I recognized that I had no idea what I was doing, I decided that I needed to get help. So....I signed up for Weight Watchers. I am not going to the meetings, I am only doing the online version, but I am soaking in all the information that I can!
Today is the start of my third week on WW, and I will weigh in right after work. The first week, I told a friend that I felt like I was being given too many points. Most days I have at least 6 points left over, and I wasn't feeling like I was starving like I thought I would be. But, I must have been doing something right because the first week I lost 5.7 lbs. Totally didn't expect that! I am trying not to make a big deal about it, because I don't want to be obssessed, and I have fought the urge (thus far) to hop on the scale multiple times a week. Once a week...only once....on the same day, at the same time(ish).
So here we go headed into week 3....hopeful :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment